All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSonny Bo is dead. Who are all these people? What are they doing here? This is my brother! Why do I feel like such an outsider? With these words, the author begins a journey through the life of her family that spans more than half a century. From the time of WWII, this biography by Frances (Bo) Erickson provides insider views into the lives of the Bos, a large, bonded, Italian family living in Detroit, Michigan that later relocates to California where the lure of fame and fortune is too attractive to igre. From their large, close family gatherings replete with grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins, the hard-working family is knitted together with old country mores, shared meals and events, and secret hopes. But when the parents decide to follow their independent dreams, devastation of the family occurs. This is a cautionary tale: What can happen when people marry too young; how the strength of old country moral codes are match for the wiles of contemporary con artists; how the dreams of parents can result in the loss of a family; and how a family surrounding a super star can be impacted by that person's success. But it is also a tale of hope in its recounting, as the author creates in her own life the joy and closeness with her husband, children, and her sister's family that was ripped from her original family by fate and the times. Music fans of Sonny and Cher will enjoy the anecdotes and intimate looks into the lives of the musicians as they developed; political insiders and fans of Sonny Bo (Congressman) will gain additional insights into the rising star and his sudden demise; and caring families who choose to stay together will be warned about a new type of elder abuse that has risen in this country. Historians and sociologists may enjoy the book for the time periods it represents and the cultural exploration of this large and dynamic Italian family. And others seeking a good read with shocking twists will appreciate Bo vs. Bo. The book contains rare photos of family members.
- Author BiographyAuthor Frances Bono Erickson was the middle child in the Bono family, but the position never really affected her. Except for the Italian mother and son thing, her parents treated all the children equally. They were the typical middle class family, no frills, just the basic comforts of a simple existence. Fran graduated high school and married at the age of eighteen, then immediately went on to having a big family. With both parents too young to handle the responsibility, the marriage ended in divorce. After the divorce, the more mature Fran married someone more suited to her, and built a family based on long-term commitment, trust, and love. She had never given any thought to writing a book, but after what took place in her traditional Italian family, she just knew she had to write this one. Presently, the author lives in Prescott Valley, Arizona with her husband. She and her husband have thirteen grandchildren and fifteen great-grand children. Her oldest daughter and grandchildren live nearby.
- Author(s)Frances Bono Erickson
- Date of Publication19/09/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight349 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.