Bonobo Handshake: A Memoir of Love and Adventure in the Congo by Vanessa Woods (CD-Audio, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.94Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $12.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 2005, Vanessa Woods accepted a marriage proposal from a man she barely knew and agreed to join him on a research trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo, a country reeling from a brutal decade-long war that had claimed the lives of millions. Settling in at a bobo sanctuary in Congo's capital, Vanessa and her fiance entered the world of a rare ape with whom we share 98.7 percent of our DNA. She soon discovered that many of the inhabitants of the sanctuary-ape and human alike-are refugees from unspeakable violence, yet bobos live in a peaceful society in which females are in charge, war is nexistent, and sex is as common and friendly as a handshake. A fascinating memoir of hope and adventure, Bobo Handshake traces Woods's self-discovery as she finds herself falling deeply in love with her husband, the apes, and her new surroundings while probing life's greatest question: What ultimately makes us human? Courageous and extraordinary, this true story of revelation and transformation in a fragile corner of Africa is about looking past the differences between animals and ourselves, and finding in them the same extraordinary courage and will to survive. For Vanessa, it is about finding her own path as a writer and scientist, falling in love, and finding a home.
- Author BiographyVanessa Woods is a research scientist, journalist, and author of children's books. A member of the Hominoid Psychology Research Group, she works with Duke University as well as Lola Ya Bonobo in Congo. She is also a feature writer for the Discovery Channel, and her writing has appeared in such publications as BBC Wildlife and Travel Africa. Her first book is It's Every Monkey for Themselves. Vanessa lives in North Carolina. Justine Eyre is a classically trained actress who has narrated over two hundred audiobooks. With a prestigious Audie Award and four AudioFile Earphones Awards under her belt, Justine is multilingual and is known for her great facility with accents. She has appeared on stage in leading roles in King Lear and The Crucible, and has starring roles in four films on the indie circuit. Her recent television credits include Two and a Half Men and Mad Men.
- Author(s)Vanessa Woods
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication27/05/2010
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight79 g
- Width163 mm
- Height137 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Narrator(s)Justine Eyre
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time510
- Edition StatementUnabridged
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $20.14Trending at AU $35.47
- AU $28.57Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $31.18Trending at AU $37.17
- AU $18.35Trending at AU $19.94
- AU $14.77Trending at AU $19.70
- AU $31.11Trending at AU $41.17
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $45.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.