All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWARNING: This is t the actual book The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan. Do t buy this reading Sidekick if you are looking for a full copy of this great book. Read this expert analysis alongside The Valley of Amazement to gain more insight into Amy Tan's depiction of early 20th-century Shanghai. With the help of this analysis, compare the roles of women in this historic period while discovering new insights into personal identity and the relationships that influence psychological development. Amy Tan provides a compelling story within a fascinating historic setting in her latest vel, The Valley of Amazement. As a Chinese-American woman living in Shanghai's International Settlement in the early 20th century, Violet struggles with her identity. To add to the conflict, the protagonist lives with her mother at a popular courtesan house. Amy Tan paints a detailed picture of the hostile world of sexual exploitation and oppression. Readers explore the social hierarchy of women in this culture as they follow Violet's story in this Bildungsroman, The Valley of Amazement. The author focuses on identity and oppression as Violet goes through many transformations in order to survive. Between her career as a courtesan and her multicultural background, Violet must learn to accept herself as a whole. With sexual content, The Valley of Amazement depicts graphic scenes meant for an adult audience.
- Date of Publication24/01/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight54 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.