All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Moses descended Mount Sinai carrying the Ten Commandments, he never could have foreseen how one family in Los Angeles in the early twenty-first century would struggle to live by them. Conchita, a voluptuous, headstrong single woman of a certain age, sees thing wrong with enjoying the company of handsome and usually much younger men . . . that is, until she encounters a widower with unusual gifts and begins to think about what she really wants out of life. Julieta, Conchita s younger sister, walks a more traditional path, but she and her husband each harbor secrets that could change their marriage and their lives forever. Their twin sons, both in college, struggle to find fulfillment. Mateo refuses to let anyone stand in the way of his happiness, while Rolando grapples with his sexuality and the family s expectations. And from time to time, Belen, the family s late matriarch, pays a visit to advise, scold, or cajole her hapless descendants. A delightful family tapestry woven with the threads of all those whose lives are touched by Conchita, The Book of Want is an enchanting blend of social and magical realism that tells a charming story about what it means to be fully human.
- Author BiographyDaniel A. Olivas is the author of five books, including Anywhere But L.A. and Devil Talk. He is also the editor of Latinos in Lotusland: An Anthology of Contemporary Southern California Literature, which collects sixty years of Los Angeles fiction from Latino/a writers. Olivas received a BA in English literature from Stanford University and a JD from the University of California at Los Angeles. Since 1990 he has practiced law with the California Department of Justice Public Rights Division.
- Author(s)Daniel A. Olivas
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2011
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Weight177 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.01New
- AU $86.25New
- AU $21.56New
- AU $43.88New
- AU $23.51New
- AU $25.04New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.49Trending at AU $31.01
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $86.23
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $75.11
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.16
- AU $59.72Trending at AU $61.86
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.85
- AU $22.29Trending at AU $22.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.