All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1991, at the start of the first Gulf War, I was as a 4th year medical student in Paris France on a general surgery rotation. Little did I kw that fifteen years later, as I cared for Iraqi - civilians, military, terrorists who would have killed us given the chance, the words of Dr. Jean Louis Paille would echo in my mind - Patient care trumps politics every time... Every time. Under fire and under pressure in Balad, Iraq, Lt. Col Jay T. Bishoff, a United States Air Force surgeon, gives a first-hand account of the war in Iraq through unique photographic images and his personal encounters in his new book, Boots of War. Dr. Bishoff recounts true stories from the 332 EMDG Hospital in Balad Iraq when it was the busiest trauma center in the world. While insurgents launched mortar and rocket attacks onto the Balad, Iraq Air base an average of seven times a day, medical personnel continually cared for critically injured U.S. and coalition soldiers, Iraqi nationals and even the rocket firing insurgents themselves. Full of laughter and tears, these modern-day war stories are unforgettable accounts of Operation Iraqi Freedom, its human cost, and its moral lessons.
- Author BiographyLt Col Bishoff joined the United States Air Force when he enrolled in medical school at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda Maryland. After graduation in 1991 he completed a urology residency at Wilford Hall Medical Center, San Antonio Texas and a post postdoctoral fellowship in laparoscopic surgery at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore Maryland in 1998. His active duty military commitment took him to Balad Iraq in 2006 where he was assigned to the 332nd Expeditionary Medical Group hospital. His photo essay, Boots of War, was the inspiration for this compilation of images and stores from operation Iraqi Freedom. The photo essay was turned into a poster that circulated throughout Balad air base and other US controlled bases. He retired from the military in 2011. He is the author of over 110 scientific articles, 25 medical book chapters, and editor of four surgical text books. Currently he is the Director of the Intermountain Urological Institute at Intermountain Health Care, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Author(s)Jay Bishoff
- Date of Publication16/06/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight599 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.