All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a powerful book based on intensive research in the archives of antebellum South Carolina, exploring the diverse strategies employed by Southern slaveholders to keep their slaves under control-from threats of sale, shackles, screw box, or treadmill, to a peck of corn a week, a dram of whiskey, a pound of tobacco, the bribe of freedom, and the promise of heaven.
- Author BiographyNORRECE T. JONES, JR. is an associate professor of history at Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Author(s)Norrece T. Jones
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication31/12/1990
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWesleyan University Press
- Content Note14 illus. Map
- Weight517 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.