All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHong Kong is a meeting ground for migrant domestic workers, traders, refugees, asylum seekers, tourists and businessmen, and local residents. At the heart of this book are the stories and experiences of migrant mothers from Indonesia and the Philippines, their South Asian, African, Chinese, and Western expatriate partners, and their Hong Kong born babies. Constable gives voice to the immigrant mothers in this Asian world city and, in the process, raises a serious question: do we regard immigrants as people, or just workers? This accessible ethgraphy provides insight into global problems of mobility, family, and citizenship and points to the consequences, creative responses, melodramas, and tragedies of labor and migration policies.
- Author BiographyNicole Constable is Director of Asian Studies and Professor of Anthropology in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences and Research Professor in the University Center for International Studies at the University of Pittsburgh. She is the author of Romance on a Global Stage: Pen Pals, Virtual Ethnography, and Mail Order Marriages and Maid to Order in Hong Kong: Stories of Migrant Workers.
- Author(s)Nicole Constable
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication14/03/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Weight63 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.