Born to Rebel: Birth Order, Family Dynamics, and Creative Lives: Vintage Books Edition by Frank J. Sulloway (Paperback, 1997)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.92Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA landmark work that illuminates the crucial influence of birth order on personality and the far-reaching consequences of sibling competition--t only within individual families but on society as a whole.At the heart of this pioneering inquiry is a fundamental insight into human behavior: that the personalities of first-born children differ from those of their younger siblings t because of cultural differences but because common human instincts play themselves out differently in the universal quest for parental favor. Frank Sulloway's most important finding--that eldest children support the status quo and youngest children rebel against it--provides the foundation for startling analyses of the Protestant Reformation, the French Revolution, and Darwin's theory of evolution. Concerning first borns--Did you kw that: First borns are more frequently defenders of the status quo, more accepting of parental or conventional values.In their support of authority they will use either brains or violence to resolve conflict.More first borns--Albert Einstein, Ivan Pavlov, Linus Pauling--are Nobel Laureates.First borns--like Stalin, Robespierre, and Carlos the Jackal--will t shy away from tactics of terrorism.Concerning later-borns--Did you kw that: Most later-borns more frequently turn over convention and champion reform, revolution and upheaval.Later-borns have been the catalysts of change supporting free speech, free worship, civil rights and women's rights.They are the creators of revolutionary ideas--Voltaire, Rousseau, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson-- were all later-borns.Those who pressed for the absolution of slavery--FrederickDouglass, John Brown and Harriet Tubman--were all later-borns.Born to Rebel is a path-breaking study, a solid confirmation of the belief that a scientific, empirical basis exists for our understanding of human behavior.
- Author BiographyFrank J. Sulloway has a Ph.D. from Harvard. He is a M.I.T. Research Scholar and also a recipient of a MacArthur 'Genius' grant. He is the author of Freud: Biologist of the Mind. He lives in Massachusetts. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Frank J. Sulloway
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/1997
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House USA Paperbacks
- Content Noteillustrations, maps
- Weight612 g
- Width127 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine43 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.