All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionNew York Times columnist, Paul Downs, details the development of his small furniture business and the challenges he has faced along the way. BOSS LIFE is an inside look at what it's like to run a small business, allowing us, by extension, to understand how a significant part of our ecomy functions. When columnist Paul Downs was approached by The New York Times to write for their You're the Boss blog, he had been running his custom furniture business for twenty-four years strong. Or mostly strong. Now, in his first book, Downs paints an honest portrait of a real business, with a real boss, a real set of employees and the real challenges they face. Fresh out of college in 1986, Downs opened his first business, a small company that builds custom furniture. In 1987, he hired his first employee. That's when things got complicated. As his enterprise began to grow, he had to learn about management, cash flow, taxes and so much more. But despite any obstacles, Downs always remained keenly aware that every small business, matter the product it makes or the service it provides, starts with people. He writes with tremendous insight about hiring employees, providing motivation to get the best out of them, and the difficult decisions he's made to let some of them go. Downs also looks outward, to his dealings with vendors and to providing each client with exemplary customer service from first sales pitch to final delivery. With honesty and conviction, he tells the true story behind building and sustaining a successful company in an ever-evolving ecomy, often airing his own failures and shortcomings to reveal the difficulties that arise from being a boss and a business person. Countless employees have told the story of their experience with managers- - BOSS LIFE tells the other side of that story.
- Author BiographyPaul Downs started making custom furniture in 1986, shortly after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in engineering. Downs has only one line on his resume but he has a wide variety of skills gained in twenty-four years of running his business. His clients range from individuals and small businesses to Fortune 500 companies, all branches of the military, and foreign governments. Downs lives with his wife and three sons outside of Philadelphia. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Paul Downs
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication25/08/2016
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1899
- ImprintBlue Rider Press
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.