All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll life depends on plants but they are often taken for granted in our everyday lives. It is easy to igre the fact that we are facing a crisis, with scientists estimating that one third of all flowering plant species are threatened with extinction. Modern Day Arks considers the essential conservation role of botanic gardens. Chapters feature gardens from around the world, including the UK, US, Australia, Germany, Turkey, Uganda, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil and China, revealing how a global network is striving to save our botanical heritage. Comments and photographs from the botanists involved lend an important personal angle to the text and reveal the important but little-kwn work that goes on behind the scenes of these beautiful gardens. In this elegant and engaging book, Sara Oldfield shows how botanic gardens truly are 'modern day arks' safeguarding species and saving resources on which we may soon depend. It is to be published in 2010, a year that sees the culmination of the Global Strategy for Plant Conservation.
- Author BiographyBased in Kew, London, Sara Oldfield is Secretary General of Botanic Gardens Conservation International, a worldwide membership organisation with offices in Kenya, the USA, Singapore and China.
- Author(s)Botanic Gardens Conservation International,Sara Oldfield
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication25/05/2010
- SubjectNatural History: Plants
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNew Holland Publishers Ltd
- Out-of-print date12/12/2012
- Content Note200 colour photographs
- Width220 mm
- Height260 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.95
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.