All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor two decades readers around the world have been fascinated by Brian Capon's crystal-clear descriptions of how plants work. What happens inside a seed after it is planted? How do plants use each other - and animals - to survive? How do they reproduce, and how do they transform nutrients into growth? Botany for Gardeners is the most complete, compact, and accessible introduction to the world of botany available. The new edition has been expanded with dazzling scanning electron microscope photographs and even more amazing facts about plants. Especially timely are new essays on food plants: what makes plants edible, the effects of climate change, and the role of genetic engineering. Whether it's the exotic behaviors of unusual seeds, the astounding weight-bearing capacity of the Victoria waterlily, or the ingenious existence of lichens, the third edition of Botany for Gardeners will be embraced by beginning gardeners and devoted plant-o-philes.
- Author BiographyBrian Capon, a native of Cheshire, England, was educated in England, Canada, and the United States, receiving a Master of Science and Ph.D. degrees at the University of Chicago. For thirty years he was Professor of Botany at California State University, Los Angeles, where he taught courses ranging from undergraduate general botany to advanced subjects for graduate students. He retired in 1991 as Professor Emeritus. His other book, Plant Survival: Adapting to a Hostile World, was published by Timber Press in 1994, and he occasionally writes on various topics. He is an accomplished landscape and still life painter, enjoys photography, and has traveled extensively throughout the world. Gardening, cooking, and attending plays and opera are among his many pleasures.
- Author(s)Brian Capon
- PublisherTimber Press
- Date of Publication12/05/2010
- Place of PublicationPortland, OR
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTimber Press
- Content Note172 color photos, 3 b&w photos, 56 line drawings
- Weight503 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition Statement3rd edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.