All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy do planes disappear or fall out of the sky? Brace for Impact traces the evolution of accident investigation and explains why flying is the safest form of travel.
The history of air accidents is a harrowing one. Yet today flying is the safest mode of transportation, thanks in small part to the work of crash detectives. Whenever a plane falls from the sky, the investigators pick through the wreckage for the clues they need to decipher what happened to that flight. Before the invention of the black box and the evolution of forensic accident investigation, the causes often remained a mystery.
Since the Wright brothers first took flight, aircraft design, pilot training, aircraft maintenance, and air traffic control have all evolved to current standards of safety. Because of lessons learned from tragedies such as what befell the Comets in the 1950s, the Douglas DC-10s in the 1970s, and ill-fated Air India, TWA, and Swissair flights, flight safety continues to improve. In many ways, the history of aviation is the history of air crash investigation.
- Author BiographyPeter Pigott is Canada s foremost aviation author. Among his accomplishments are the histories of Air Canada, Trans-Canada Airlines, and Canadian Airlines. He is the author of From Far and Wide, Sailing Seven Seas, Canada in Sudan, and many more books. He lives in Ottawa.
- Author(s)Peter Pigott
- PublisherDundurn Group Ltd
- Date of Publication18/06/2016
- SubjectAircraft & Spacecraft: General Interest
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDundurn Group Ltd
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight481 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.50Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.