All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionConway's latest contribution to the Bradshaw's publishing phemen is this superb and wonderfully illustrated guide to Victorian London, dating from 1862. The book was published in a single volume as a handbook for visitors to the capital, and it includes beautiful engravings of London attractions, a historical overview of the city, and lots of other information relating to London theatres, Hackney carriages, omnibuses, London churches and even banks. There is also advice for tourists on coping with London smog, avoiding pickpockets, dealing with London's muddy streets and ferocious din, and many other topics - some just as useful today as they were in 1862! The main body of the book focuses on a series of 'walking tours' radiating outwards from the centre of London, covering the North, East, South and West, The City of London and a tour of the Thames (from Greenwich to Windsor). All major attractions and districts are covered in detailed pages full of picturesque description. This reformatted edition preserves the historical value of this meticulously detailed and comprehensive book, which will appeal to Bradshaw's enthusiasts, local historians, aficionados of Victoriana, tourists and Londoners alike - there really is something for everyone. It will enchant anyone with an interest in the capital and its rich history.
- Author BiographyGeorge Bradshaw (1801-1853) was an English cartographer, printer and publisher. He is most famous for developing a series of railway timetables and guides. The books became synonymous with its publisher so that, for Victorians and Edwardians alike, a railway timetable was 'a Bradshaw'. After his death Punch magazine said of Bradshaw's labours: 'seldom has the gigantic intellect of man been employed upon a work of greater utility.'
- Author(s)George Bradshaw
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication16/05/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 black and white engravings
- Weight363 g
- Width130 mm
- Height175 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
- Edition StatementFacsimile edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.