All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionBramhall is a thriving, bustling suburb of Stockport, close to Manchester. It has been voted the least 'lonely place' in Britain and has a rich history stretching back to Anglo- Saxon days, the envy of communities twice the size. All of this is captured in Bramhall Through Time, in nearly 200 evocative pictures illuminating the fascinating past and new images showing how things have changed. An incisive and informative text guides the reader through the history of Bramhall and its immediate area. The book takes the reader back to the very early days to meet Saxon Brun and Hacun, whose lands were given over by Willliam the Conqueror to Hamon de Massey, who eventually became the first Baron of Dunham Massey. It also visits the elegant Bramham Hall with its park, the estates that are Parkside, New House Farm, Dairyground and Little Australia, the trendy shops and bars clustered around the historic village square and follows the beautiful Ladybrook Valley through the area. The book also takes in neighbouring Cheadle , Hazle Grove, Manchester airport, Styal and Wythenshawe where old and new pictures are juxtaposed to show how things have changed in these communities over the past hundred years and more.
- Author BiographyPaul Chrystal was educated at the Universities of Hull and Southampton where he took degrees in Classics and wrote his MPhil thesis on attitudes to women in Roman love poetry. He appears regularly on BBC local radio the World Service. He is the author of over fifty books on a wide range of subjects, including histories of northern places, social histories of tea and of chocolate, a history of confectionery in Yorkshire and various aspects of classical literature and Roman history.
- Author(s)Paul Chrystal,Simon Crossley
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication13/10/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.