Bravura!: Lucia Chase & the American Ballet Theatre by Alex C Ewing (Hardback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $71.91Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $64.94+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLong-awaited biography of the Queen Mother of American Ballet A book that should be read by historians, ballet artists, ballet lovers, and book lovers in general. It is a fascinating story t only about the growth of ballet in America but also of the courage and persistence of a Great Lady. --Irina Barova It's high time the magnetically American story of Lucia Chase and Ballet Theatre was told. Like the history-making and aptly named company she kept, Lucia was colorful, daring, and almost self-destructively determined--an original always in passionate pursuit of the original. --Arthur Laurents Lucia Chase, an American original, is made vivid on these pages. For over forty years much of ballet in the U.S. rode her coattails, or vice versa--you decide. --Eliot FeldTo many people, Lucia Chase (1897-1986) was the American Ballet Theatre, and her reign as the queen of American ballet lasted for more than four decades.It was Chase who brought Nureyev, Bujones, Kirkland, and eventually Baryshnikov to ABT. Under her leadership, the company worked with such legends as Agnes de Mille, Anthony Tudor, Jerome Robbins, and Twyla Tharp. Her drive, ambition, tenacity, and money kept the doors open even during the lean years.A dancer when the company made its debut in 1940, she was artistic director for an unprecedented thirty-five years, from 1945 to 1980. Over the course of her career, she received numerous hors and awards, including the U.S. Medal of Freedom, the nation s highest civilian hor.Combining unique personal insights as Chase's son along with experience garnered from his own professional dance and administrative career, Alex Ewing offers the definitive story of one of the true pioneers in the world of American ballet.
- Author BiographyAlex C. Ewing is chancellor emeritus of the North Carolina School of the Arts and former general director of the Joffrey Ballet.
- Author(s)Alex C Ewing
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication15/08/2009
- SubjectAutobiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, frontispiece
- Weight680 g
- Width163 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.