All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSport History is a growing field of study in Brazil. In the past decades, scholars from different areas have taken an increasing interest in studying how sports help us in understanding broader social, cultural, political and ecomic aspects of society. Barriers of language have often distanced Brazilian historiography from the international community which makes this volume in English especially important as a contribution to the field. In the last decade, Brazil has been on the spotlight of international sporting events and with the staging of the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games, in Rio de Janeiro, the world is focused on Brazilian sports, and this book provides a route into understanding it. Brazilian Sports History offers a glimpse into the work of ten Brazilian leading sport historians, exploring topics as diverse as sports in 19th-century Brazil, the political aspects of sport in Brazilian authoritarian regimes, sport and environment, the image of Brazilian women and sport, sport as a Brazilian intangible cultural heritage and the importance of staging mega sporting events in Brazilian politics. This book was previously published as a special issue of the International Journal of the History of Sport.
- Author BiographyMauricio Drumond is a historian and researcher in Sport: Laboratory of the History of Sport and Leisure, and is the author of books and articles in sports and politics in Brazil, Portugal and Argentina. Victor Andrade de Melo is a professor in the Program of Graduate Studies in Comparative History, in the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. Coordinator of Sport: Laboratory of the History of Sport and Leisure.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication13/06/2016
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Series TitleSport in the Global Society - Historical Perspectives
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight385 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byMauricio Drumond,Victor Andrade De Melo
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.