All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs elliptical and demanding as Emily Dickinson, Valentine consistently rewards the reader. -- Library Journal In her eleventh collection--hored as a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in poetry--Jean Valentine characteristically weds a moral imperative to imaginative and linguistic leaps and bounds. Whether writing elegies, meditations on aging, or an extended homage to Lucy, the earliest kwn hominid, the pared-down compactness of her tone and vision reveals a singular voice in American poetry. As Adrienne Rich has said of Valentine's work, This is a poetry of the highest order, because it lets us into spaces and meanings we couldn't approach in any other way. From If a Person Visits Someone in a Dream, in Some Cultures the Dreamer Thanks Them : At a hotel in ather star. The rooms were cold anddamp, we were both at the desk at midnight asking ifthey had any heaters. They had one heater. You areill, please you take it. Thank you for visiting my dream. *Can you breathe all right?Break the glass shoutbreak the glass force the roombreak the thread Openthe music behind the glass . . . Jean Valentine, a former State Poet of New York, earned a National Book Award, the Wallace Stevens Award, and the Shelley Memorial Prize. She has taught at Sarah Lawrence, New York University, and Columbia University. She lives in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of New York City.
- Author BiographyJean Valentine: Jean Valentine was the State Poet of New York for two years, starting in 2008. She is the author of eleven books of poetry, including Door in the Mountain: New and Collected Poems, which won the National Book Award for Poetry. She has earned many of the country's highest honors for her work, including the Wallace Stevens Award from the Academy of American Poets, a Guggenheim Fellowship, and The Poetry Society of America's Shelley Memorial Prize. She has taught at Sarah Lawrence College, New York University, and Columbia University. She lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Jean Valentine
- PublisherCopper Canyon Press
- Date of Publication05/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCopper Canyon Press
- Weight122 g
- Width141 mm
- Height192 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.