All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMoving from the classroom to the field can be a daunting transition for many social work students, but Breaking Out of the Box offers experiential, adventure-based learning to help students acquire the skills essential for success. Ward and Mama stress individual decision making within a group setting, so readers develop individualized abilities as well as proficiency in group communication, group problem solving, leadership roles, and relationship building. The book uses interactive exercises to integrate cross-curriculum content, from theory to assessment to cultural competency, allowing students to obtain a new perspective as they navigate through field placement and into their professional careers. Previous editions of Breaking Out of the Box have been celebrated for its straightforward approach and consideration of a wide range of concerns experienced by beginning social workers. In this third edition, the authors continue to incorporate a fun and informal tone, and maintain accessibility to readers. The book emphasizes the importance and potential of alternative learning methods through the use of hands-on activities. Exercises allow students to learn by doing so they can get comfortable using the necessary tools, kwledge, techniques, and theories of social work. Updated material includes Thoughts to Ponder reflective text boxes, guidelines for safety, new content on macro practice, and more! The instructor's manual provides a detailed guide for each classroom activity including preparation, presentation, variations, objectives, and review questions.
- Author BiographyKelly Ward (PhD, Fordham University; MSW, Rutgers University; BSW, Eastern Michigan University) is professor of social work and MSW program director at Monmouth University. She was named Teacher of the Year at Monmouth University in 2008. Robin Sakina Mama (PhD, MLSP, MSS, Bryn Mawr College; BSW, College Misericordia) is professor and dean of social work at Monmouth University. She received the Jane Addams Award in 2005 for her contributions to social work and was named Teacher of the Year in 2000 at Monmouth University.
- Author(s)Kelly Ward
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight454 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.