Breaking the Phalanx: New Design for Landpower in the 21st Century by Douglas A. MacGregor (Paperback, 1997)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $52.24Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis work proposes the reorganization of America's ground forces on the strategic, operational and tactical levels. Central to the proposal is the simple thesis that the U.S. Army must take control of its future by exploiting the emerging revolution in military affairs. The analysis argues that a new Army warfighting organization will t only be more deployable and effective in Joint operations; reorganized information age ground forces will be significantly less expensive to operate, maintain, and modernize than the Army's current Cold War division-based organizations. And while ground forces must be equipped with the newest Institute weapons, new techlogy will t fulfill its promise of shaping the battlefield to American advantage if new devices are merely grafted on to old organizations that are t specifically designed to exploit them. It is t eugh to rely on the infusion of new, expensive techlogy into the American defense establishment to preserve America's strategic dominance in the next century. The work makes it clear that planes, ships, and missiles cant do the job of defending America's global security issues alone. The United States must opt for reform and reorganization of the nation's ground forces and avoid repeating Britain's historic mistake of always fielding an effective army just in time to avoid defeat, but too late to deter an aggressor.
- Author BiographyDOUGLAS A. MACGREGOR is a Colonel with the Center for Technology and National Security, National Defense University, Washington, DC. After completing airborne and ranger training, Macgregor served in a variety of command and staff assignments including command of a Division Cavalry Squadron. During Desert Storm, Colonel Macgregor was awarded the bronze star with V device for valor, leading attacking combat troops in the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment. His other works include a book, The Soviet-East German Military Alliance, published in 1989. He wrote Breaking the Phalanx while serving as the U.S. Army Fellow at CSIS in Washington, D.C. Colonel Macgregor is currently assigned to the U.S. Army combined Army Center at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
- Author(s)Douglas A. MacGregor
- Date of Publication14/01/1997
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight446 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $60.92Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.10
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $23.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.