All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMcCrimmon, having gotten Grierson's attention, continued: A breakthrough, you say? If it's in ecomics, at least it can't be dangerous. Nothing like gene engineering, laser beams, sex hormones or international relations. That's where we don't want any breakthroughs. (Galbraith, 1. K. (1990) A Tenured Profes- sor, Houghton Miffiin; Boston. ) To judge [astromy] in this way [a narrow utilitarian point of view] demon- strates t only how poor we are, but also how small, narrow, and indolent our minds are; it shows a disposition always to calculate the payolIbefore the work, a cold heart and a lack of feeling for everything that is great and hors man. One can unfortunately t deny that such a mode of thinking is t uncommon in our age, and I am convinced that this is closely connected with the catastro- phes which have befallen many countries in recent times; do t mistake me, I do t talk of the general lack of concern for science, but of the source from which all this has come, of the tendency to everywhere look out for one's advan- tage and to relate everything to one's physical well-being, of the indilIerence towards great ideas, ofthe aversion to any elIort which derives from pure enthu- siasm: I believe that such attitudes, if they prevail, can be decisive in catas- trophes of the kind we have experienced. [Gauss, K. F. : Astromische An- trittsvorlesung (cited from Buhler, W. K. (1981) Gauss: A Biographical Study, Springer: New York)].
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication11/06/1993
- Series TitleSpringer Series in Statistics / Perspectives in Statistics
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight938 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edited byNorman L. Johnson,Samuel Kotz
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement1st ed. 1992. Corr. 2nd printing 1993
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.