All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe most comprehensive and authoritative editions of Brecht's plays in the English language This second volume of Brecht's Collected Plays brings together some of his most glittering Berlin successes including The Threepenny Opera, The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny, The Seven Deadly Sins, Man Equals Man and The Elephant Calf. The Threepenny Opera is the story of the mercurial beggar turned entrepeneur Peachum and his battles with the criminal Mac the Knife ; The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny, an operatic satire on the search for an American capitalist utopia; The Seven Deadly Sins is a ballet with songs that predicts the downfall of the petty bourgeosie and was first performed as the Nazis planned their book burning exercise. Man equals Man is an exploration of the theory of equality and The Elephant Calf is a play within a play based on an Indian folk story. The translators include W H Auden and Chester Kallman (The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny; The Seven Deadly Sins of the Petty Bourgeoisie), Ralph Manheim (The Threepenny Opera), Gerhard Nellhaus (Man Equals Man) and John Willett (The Elephant Calf).The translations are ideal for both study and performance. The volume is accompanied by a full introduction and tes by the series editor John Willett and includes Brecht's own tes and relevant texts as well as all the important textual variants.
- Author BiographyBertolt Brecht (1898-1956) is acknowledged as one of the great dramatists whose work has had a considerable influence on the theatre. His landmark plays include The Threepenny Opera, The Life of Galileo, and The Caucasian Chalk Circle. His plays and dramatic theory are central to the study of modern theatre.
- Author(s)Bertolt Brecht
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication30/08/1994
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleWorld Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMethuen Drama
- Weight292 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Volume editorJohn Willett,Ralph Manheim
- Format DetailsA-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.