All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBrenda Monk is a true stand-up, by her very nature - it is under her skin; itching and bubbling. She is addicted to the feeling of being on stage, looking out at expectant, up-turned mouths, waiting for the first laugh to hit. A first laugh that will t happen unless she creates it. But Brenda is clueless. The on-off girlfriend of a prolific comedian, it is only after she realises his best stage material consists of recycled versions of her own restless, smart-arsed energy that she begins to wonder whether she might be better off keeping her jokes for herself - and so she finds herself making her very first walk to the mark on stage in front of a bare brick wall, with just a spotlight and a PA system for cover, wondering what we all wonder from time to time: am I funny? A book as much about the thrill of performance as it is about what goes on when the microphone is switched off, Brenda Monk is Funny is a blackly humourous and devastatingly candid snapshot of the reality, the brutality and fragility of the comedy industry from an exciting new voice in fiction.
- Author BiographyKaty Brand is a writer, comedian, actor and journalist. In 2008 Katy won Best Newcomer at the British Comedy Awards and she has since appeared in numerous films (Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, Svengali, Good Arrows), TV shows (Peep Show, Have I Got News For You, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, QI, Psychobitches, Strictly Come Dancing), radio programmes (Mouth Trap, Infinite Monkey Cage, The Time Traveller's Guide) and live events (Ealing Live! Victoria Wood's Angina Monologues, The Twitter Joke Trial Benefit Gig). Between 2007 and 2009 Katy wrote and performed her own ITV sketch show Katy Brand's Big Ass Show, taking it out on a live UK tour in 2010. Katy was a columnist for Reveal magazine for three years, and she currently writes a weekly column for the Daily Telegraph. Katy also once dressed up as Beyonce on national television and very nearly got away with it -
- Author(s)Katy Brand
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight377 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.