All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $46.87
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
About this product
- DescriptionFew published collections of Gaelic song place the songs or their singers and communities in context. Brigh an Orain - A Story in Every Song corrects this, showing how the inherited art of a fourth-generation Canadian Gael fits within biographical, social, and historical contexts. It is the first major study of its kind to be undertaken for a Scottish Gaelic singer. The forty-eight songs and nine folktales in the collection are transcribed from field recordings and presented as the singer performed them, with an English translation provided. All the songs are accompanied by musical transcriptions. The book also includes a brief autobiography in Lauchie MacLellan's entertaining narrative style. John Shaw has added extensive tes and references, as well as photos and maps. In an era of growing appreciation of Celtic cultures, Brigh an Orain - A Story in Every Song makes an important Gaelic tradition available to the general reader. The materials also serve as a unique, adaptable resource for those with more specialized research or teaching interests in ethlogy/folklore, Canadian studies, Gaelic language, ethmusicology, Celtic studies, anthropology, and social history.
- Author BiographyJohn Shaw is the editor and translator of Tales Until Dawn: The World of a Cape Breton Gaelic Story-Teller and Brigh an Orain: A Story in Every Song. He is senior lecturer in ethnology at the University of Edinburgh.
- Author(s)Alistair MacLeod,John Shaw,Lauchie MacLellan
- PublisherMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Date of Publication21/02/2001
- LanguageEnglish & Scottish Gaelic
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Content Noteillus., maps & music
- Weight980 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine39 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.