All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.92Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.28Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
About this product
- DescriptionWhy has Africa become such an important priority for Britain's foreign policy under New Labour? What interests and values is the UK seeking to uphold by intervening? Why has aid to Africa more than tripled over the past decade? How has the UK's involvement in the War on Terror affected its efforts there? In Britain in Africa Tom Porteous seeks to answer these and other questions about Britain's role in Africa since 1997. He provides an account of the key players, the policies they constructed in the shadow of the war in Iraq and the future of Britain's engagement with the continent. This book sets out the balance sheet of what Britain has achieved, and where and why it failed in Africa. A compelling read, whose importance for international politics reaches far beyond Britain or Africa.
- Author BiographyTom Porteous has worked and travelled extensively in Africa as a journalist, UN peacekeeping official and for the Foriegn Office. In the 1980s and early 1990s he was a freelance correspondent for the Guardian, the BBC and others, first in Cairo and later in Berlin and Morocco. In 1994 and 1995 he worked in UN peace operations in Somalia and Liberia. From 1995 to 2000 he was a programme producer, presenter and editor at the BBC World Service radio working on Africa and the Middle East. From 2001 to 2003 he was the conflict management adviser at the Africa directorate of the British Foreign Office. He is currently the London Director of Human Rights Watch.
- Author(s)Tom Porteous
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2008
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleAfrican Arguments
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight191 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine129 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.