All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1917, the British issued the Balfour Declaration for military and strategic reasons. This book analyses why and how the British took on the Palestine Mandate. It explores how their interests and policies changed during its course and why they evacuated the country in 1948. During the first decade of the Mandate the British enjoyed an influx of Jewish capital mobilized by the Zionists which enabled them t only to fund the administration of Palestine, but also her own regional imperial projects. But in the mid-1930s, as the clouds of World War Two gathered, Britain's commitment to Zionism was superseded by the need to secure her strategic assets in the Middle East. In consequence she switched to a policy of appeasing the Arabs. In 1947, Britain abandoned her attempts to impose a settlement in Palestine that would be acceptable to the Arab States and referred Palestine to the United Nations, without recommendations, leaving the antagonists to settle their conflict on the battlefield. Based on archival sources, and the most up-to-date scholarly research, this comprehensive history offers new insights into Arab, British and Zionist policies. It is a must-read for anyone with an interest in Palestine, Israel, British Colonialism and the Middle East in general.
- Author BiographyMichael Joseph Cohen was born in England, and earned his Ph.D. under the late Elie Kedourie at the London School of Economics. He is Professor Emeritus in History at Bar-Ilan University. He has published widely on the Palestine Mandate and the establishment of the state of Israel.
- Author(s)Michael J Cohen
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication26/02/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleIsraeli History, Politics and Society
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note13 black & white halftones
- Weight907 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.34
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $36.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.