Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionIn Britannia Graham Stewart traces two thousand years of an island's story - from Roman province to twenty-first century European nation-state - through one hundred historic documents. From the eighth-century Lindisfarne Gospels to the great testament of Norman bureaucracy, the Domesday Book, and from the designs for the Union Jack in 1606 to Neville Chamberlain's 1938 Munich agreement with Hitler, the documents selected embrace a wide range of national endeavours: politics and religion, warfare and diplomacy, ecomics and the law, science and invention, literature and journalism, as well as sport and popular music. The first edition of The Times rubs shoulders with the rules of the newly formed Marylebone Cricket Club; the designs for Stephenson's Rocket with the Catholic Emancipation Act; Lord Kitchener's iconic First World War recruitment poster with Clause Four of the Labour Party's constitution; and the Beatles' Sgt Pepper album cover with Britain's accession treaty to the European Ecomic Community. These are documents that t only defined their own eras, but which continue to resonate today.
- Author BiographyGraham Stewart was born in 1969 and educated at St Andrews and Cambridge universities. His first book, Burying Caesar: Churchill, Chamberlain and the Battle for the Tory Party was published to international acclaim in 1999. Joining The Times as a leader writer in 2000, he wrote the latest volume of the newspaper's history, The Murdoch Years, in 2005. His other books are Friendship and Betrayal: Ambition and the Limits of Loyalty, and His Finest Hours: Winston Churchill's War Speeches. He currently writes The Times' weekly 'Past Notes' column, and is writing a history of Britain in the 1980s.
- Author(s)Graham Stewart
- PublisherAtlantic Books
- Date of Publication01/09/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAtlantic Books
- Content Note100 integrated images
- Weight773 g
- Width155 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine44 mm
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.