All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLonglisted for the 2014 Thwaites Wainwright Prize Britannia Obscura is the untold story of Britain's hidden landscapes. The outline of the British Isles, looking a little like a wingless dragon, is instantly recognisable. But jostling within that familiar profile are countless vying maps of the country. Some of these maps are founded on rock, or on the natural features of the land. But far more are built on dreams - on human activity, effort, and aspiration. From investigations of caves and megaliths to canals and airspace, Joanne Parker reveals a country with countless competing centres and ceaselessly shifting borders - a land where one person's sleepy, unexceptional province will always be the busy heart of ather's map. Britannia Obscura opens our eyes to the infinitely layered, rich and surprising landscape of a very large small island.
- Author BiographyJoanne Parker is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Exeter. She has always been interested in the British countryside, in British eccentricities, and in questions of identity. She has lived in York, Edinburgh, Cumbria, Quebec, and now lives on Dartmoor (next door to a pub allegedly built around a standing stone), with a morris dancer, two daughters and a flock of black sheep.
- PrizesLong-listed for Wainwright Prize 2015.
- Author(s)Joanne Parker
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication19/11/2015
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight180 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.