All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe author is a World War II combat veteran and Britain's most prolific military writer. This book presents the final, terrible stages of the war through the eyes of those who fought it.This latest book by Charles Whiting, the prolific historian of the Second World War, details the final efforts of the British infantry to free Europe from the grip of the German Army. From the drama of D-Day to the grim push into Germany and on to Berlin, the focus is on the men who took the brunt.The contribution of the British forces is sometimes downplayed: it was after all the Russian winter and the Yanks that won the War. Whiting is happy to adjust the perspective a little! Though the best description of this book does in fact come from an American, Paul Fussell, wounded in France leading an infantry section. 'Those who fought in the line, especially if they were wounded, constitute an ingroup separate from those who did t. Praise or blame does t attach. There is an instinctive scepticism about pretension...and the pomp of authority.' Charles Whiting was part of that in-group.
- Author BiographyCharles Whiting is Britain's most prolific military writer with over 250 books to his credit. He saw active service in the Second World War, serving in an armoured reconnaissance regiment attached to both the U.S. and British armies. He is therefore able to write with the insight and authority of someone who, as a combat soldier, actually experienced the horrors of World War II. Charles Whiting died in July 2007. This is his last work.
- Author(s)Charles Whiting
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/01/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpellmount Publishers Ltd
- Content Note32
- Weight490 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.