All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBritish Silver Boxes 1640 - 1840 catalogues the remarkable diversity and depth of the Lion Collection. Assembled with a passionate and discerning eye over several years, the collection has been distilled to include only the most interesting, rare and varied of antique British silver boxes. The featured boxes were made predominantly to carry snuff and tobacco, and the book provides fascinating insight into the habits and customs that shaped their development. A handful of nutmeg graters, vinaigrettes and counter boxes of particular interest or rarity are also included. Maker's marks are given when present, and many of the boxes' engravings and details are explored, often providing clues about the objects' former owners. Arranged chrologically, enabling the reader to chart the development of British silver boxes over the course of two centuries, the boxes have been expertly photographed and researched. Details of provenance and other literary references help to complete the story of each piece in the collection.
- Author BiographyJohn Culme has devoted his career to the study of silver and the history of the silver and jewellery trades, having begun at Sotheby's in 1964. He has written extensively on the subject, including The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, Jewellers & Allied Traders, 1838-1914, published by the Antique Collectors' Club in 1987. In addition, he curated the loan exhibition, English Silver Treasures From The Kremlin, held at Sotheby's, London, in January 1991. For the Silver Department at Sotheby's, on both sides of the Atlantic, John has researched and catalogued many important items, perhaps the most interesting being Lord Raby's great silver wine cistern (Philip Rollos, London, 1705/06).
- Author(s)John Culme
- PublisherACC Art Books
- Date of Publication26/11/2014
- SubjectAntiques & Collectables
- Place of PublicationWoodbridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintACC Art Books
- Content Note404 colour, 2 b&w
- Weight1724 g
- Width237 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.