All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTowns are complex and sophisticated creations. Mapping towns stretched cartographers' ingenuity to new heights of both artistic beauty and scientific exactitude as they strove to represent and communicate the physical patterns of streets, buildings and spaces; the 'above ground' and the 'below ground'; the built structures and the ecomy; the lives of those who live or work there; and the unseen realities of land ownership, administration, religion and politics.These maps served a variety of purposes, from guiding travellers, assisting with administration and government, raising taxes, planning the built environment, organising its defence - and much, much more. Some of the maps in this book are well kwn, others have languished in obscurity, deep in archives, until revealed by the ten years' work of a British Academy research project on which this book is founded. Lavishly illustrated in colour, it tells the story of the mapping of urban Britain from the late middle ages until modern times. The text is accompanied by a comprehensive index of town maps which have been catalogued on an open-access electronic resource.
- Author BiographyProfessor Roger J.P. Kain is Dean and Chief Executive of the School of Advanced Study, University of London and a Vice-President of the British Academy. He is a leading cartographic historian and author of 12 other books on British maps, three of them co-authored with Dr Richard Oliver. His previous British Library publication is English Maps: A History (1999). Dr Richard Oliver is Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Exeter and is author of seven books on Ordnance Survey history.
- Author(s)Richard Oliver,Roger J. P. Kain
- PublisherThe British Library Publishing Division
- Date of Publication22/10/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe British Library Publishing Division
- Weight1406 g
- Width220 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.