All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
About this product
- DescriptionA guide to the rapidly progressing Age of Biotechlogy, Brutes or Angels provides basic information on a wide array of new techlogies in the life sciences, along with the ethical issues raised by each.
br>With the advent of stem cells, Dolly the cloned sheep, in vitrofertilisation, age retardation, and pharmaceutical mind enhancement, humankind is w faced with decisions that it has never before had to consider. The thoughtfulness, or lack of it, that we bring to those decisions will largely determine the future character of the living world.
Brutes or Angels will facilitate informed choice making about the personal use of biotechlogies and the formulation of public policies governing their development and use. Ten biotechlogies that impact humans are considered: stem cell research, embryo selection, human gemics, gene therapies, human reproductive cloning, age retardation, cognition enhancement, the engineering of nhuman organisms, nabiology, and synthetic biology.
With deft and assured use of metaphors, analogies, diagrams, and photographs, James T. Bradley introduces important biological principles and the basic procedures used in biotechlogy. Various ethical issues--personhood, personal identity, privacy, ethnic discrimination, distributive justice, authenticity and human nature, and the significance of mortality in the human life cycle--are presented in a clear and unbiased manner. Personal reflection and group dialogue are encouraged by questions at the end of each chapter, making this book t only a general guide to better informed and nuanced thinking on these complex and challenging topics but also an appropriate text for bioethics courses in university science departments and for adult education classes.
Standing at the beginning of the twenty-first century, with burgeoning abilities to enhance and even create life in ways unimaginable just a few decades ago, humans have an awesome responsibility to themselves and other species. Brutes or Angelsinvites us to engage each other in meaningful dialogue by listening, gathering information, formulating thoughtful views, and remaining open to new kwledge and ethical argumentation.
- Author BiographyJames T. Bradley is the former director of the Human Odyssey Program and W. Kelly Mosley Professor of Science and Humanities emeritus at Auburn University, USA where he taught in the Department of Biological Sciences. Winner of the 2002 Academic Freedom Award of the Auburn Chapter of the American Association of University Professors, Bradley is author or coauthor of numerous short papers published in journals such as Nature, Zygon, Journal of Experimental Zoology, and Cell and Tissue Research. In addition, he has published a laboratory manual in cell biology and edited the first two volumes of The Human Odyssey: Readings from Original Sources.
- Author(s)James T. Bradley
- PublisherThe University of Alabama Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2013
- SubjectOther Specific Technologies
- Place of PublicationAlabama
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Alabama Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, black & white tables, figures
- Weight726 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.