All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBuddhism in the Modern World explores the challenges faced by Buddhism today, the distinctive forms that it has taken and the individuals and movements that have shaped it. Part One discusses the modern history of Buddhism in different geographical regions, from Southeast Asia to North America. Part Two examines key themes including globalization, gender issues, and the ways in which Buddhism has confronted modernity, science, popular culture and national politics. Each chapter is written by a distinguished scholar in the field and includes photographs, summaries, discussion points and suggestions for further reading. The book provides a lively and up-to-date overview that is indispensable for both students and scholars of Buddhism.
- Author BiographyDavid L. McMahan is Professor of Religious Studies at Franklin & Marshall College, USA. He is the author of The Making of Buddhist Modernism (Oxford, 2008) and Empty Vision: Metaphor and Visionary Imagery in Mahayana Buddhism (Routledge, 2002).
- Author(s)David L. McMahan
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication07/12/2011
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleReligions in the Modern World
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note30 black & white halftones
- Weight606 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.