All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis interdisciplinary collection of essays highlights the relevance of Buddhist doctrine and practice to issues of globalization. From various philosophical, religious, historical, and political perspectives, the authors show that Buddhism-arguably the world's first transnational religion-is a rich resource for navigating today's interconnected world. Buddhist Responses to Globalization addresses globalization as a contemporary phemen, marked by ecomic, cultural, and political deterritorialization, and also proposes concrete strategies for improving global conditions in light of these facts. Topics include Buddhist analyses of both capitalist and materialist ecomies; Buddhist religious syncretism in highly multicultural areas such as Holulu; the changing face of Buddhism through the work of public intellectuals such as Alice Walker; and Buddhist responses to a range of issues including reparations and restorative justice, ecomic inequality, spirituality and political activism, cultural homogenization and nihilism, and feminist critique. In short, the book looks to bring Buddhist ideas and practices into direct and meaningful, yet critical, engagement with both the facts and theories of globalization.
- Author BiographyLeah Kalmanson is assistant professor of philosophy and religion at Drake University. James Mark Shields is associate professor of comparative humanities and Asian thought at Bucknell University and Japan Foundation visiting research fellow at the International Research Center for Japanese Studies.
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication22/07/2014
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Weight422 g
- Width162 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJames Mark Shields,Leah Kalmanson
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.