All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhether for tango, football or art, passions in Bues Aires run high. The largest city in Argentina, it is chaotic and lively, dangerous and cosmopolitan, and presents seemingly unlimited attractions for tourists. This book provides a view into the city today, and into its past. Europeans colonized Bues Aires in the 16th century, and from this modest start it had boomed by the end of the nineteenth century. Its history is one of excesses and swings between authoritarian and democratic governments. By examining Bues Aires' past, we can appreciate what remains as story, urban myth, or reality. Jason Wilson explores the history behind the monuments, buildings, and people of the city. Essays on present-day Bues Aires - its parks, cemeteries, museums and bookshops - reveal what makes the city tick, while listings provide handy references for the traveler. Bues Aires, one of the first titles in the invative 'CityScopes' series, is an authoritative introduction and intimate guide to the past and present of a vibrant, fascinating city.
- Author BiographyJason Wilson is Professor Emeritus in the Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies at University College London. He is the author of many books on Latin American culture and literature, including Jorge Luis Borges (2006) also published by Reaktion Books. He lives in London and Buenos Aires.
- Author(s)Jason Wilson
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication15/05/2014
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Series TitleCityScopes
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note100 black & white, 70 in colour
- Weight408 g
- Width120 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.