All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDesigned to be widely accessible without sacrificing depth, Building Community Capacity provides a theoretically informed, systematic exploration of this fundamental issue. The authors combine a wealth of practical experience working with community-based initiatives with a deep theoretical understanding of the problems facing communities today to produce a clear definition of the concept of community capacity and a pointed review of strategies intended to foster it. Clearly and in detail, providing a systematic framework for comprehensive thinking about a cluster of related activities, they explore the choices and issues that must be confronted by all who share a practical interest in strengthening poor neighborhoods. Building Community Capacity draws widely on both academic and applied research. It uses existing kwledge as a basis for a synthetic analysis of substantial primary source material, including key-informant interviews with participants in community-building initiatives; data derived from in-depth implementation studies of certain core cases; and documentary and interview data from additional initiatives and organizations that are engaged in community-capacity building efforts. Data from the core cases consist of information and experience gathered in the documentation and evaluation of three major initiatives, allowing the detailed exploration to be sensitive to the nuances of approach, process, and context that inform the implementation of these efforts and condition their effects. Taken together, the cases represent a cross-section of the field of community-capacity building efforts, illustrating the range of strategies, contexts, actors, and implementation issues that have been encountered across a spectrum of community capacity building efforts. To ensure that the lessons to be drawn from in-depth analysis are broadly representative, the authors also develop a list of numerous other community-based initiatives, which they use to contextualize, illustrate, draw out, refine, confirm, and challenge what they see in the core cases.
- Author(s)Avis C. Vidal,Prudence Brown,Robert J. Chaskin,Sudhir Venkatesh
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication31/07/2001
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleModern Applications of Social Work S.
- Place of PublicationSomerset
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight513 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $60.95Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.10
- AU $18.79Trending at AU $23.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.