All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Building Genetic Medicine, Shobita Parthasarathy shows how, even in an era of globalization, national context is playing an important role in the development and use of genetic techlogies. Focusing on the development and deployment of genetic testing for breast and ovarian cancer (kwn as BRCA testing) in the United States and Britain, Parthasarathy develops a comparative analysis framework in order to investigate how national toolkits shape both regulations and the architectures of techlogies and uses this framework to assess the implications of new genetic techlogies. Parthasarathy argues that differences in the American and British approaches to health care and commercialization of research led to the establishment of different BRCA services in the two countries. In Britain, the techlogy was available through the National Health Service as an integrated program of counseling and laboratory analysis, and was viewed as a potentially cost-effective form of preventive care. In the United States, although BRCA testing was initially offered by a number of providers, one company eventually became the sole provider of a test available to consumers on demand. Parthasarathy draws lessons for the future of genetic medicine from these cross-national differences, and discusses the ways in which comparative case studies can inform policy-making efforts in science and techlogy.
- Author BiographyShobita Parthasarathy is Associate Professor at the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan.
- Author(s)Shobita Parthasarathy
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication20/01/2012
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleInside Technology
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note9 figures, 7 tables
- Weight385 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.