All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book leads you through the process of designing a learning-centered course. It is written as a how-to handbook, providing step-by-step guidance on creating a pathway to student learning, including 26 workboxes (also available free online) that lead you through each element of the course design process and promote a rich reflection process akin to being in a workshop setting. The authors prompt you to (1) consider the distinctive characteristics of your students; (2) clearly articulate your course learning goals; (3) create aligned summative assessments; (4) identify the specific kwledge, skills, and attitudes students will need in order to be successful; (5) craft effective learning experiences, informed by the well-documented research on how people learn; and (6) incorporate formative assessment to ensure you and your students are staying on track. Completion of the sequence of worksheets leads to a poster as a visual display of your course design. This graphic depiction of your course ties the components together, provides a clear map of action for teaching your course, for modifying as you evaluate the success of particular strategies or want to introduce new concepts, and for developing your syllabus. A rubric for evaluating course posters is included. For faculty developers, this book provides a proven and ready-made resource and text around which to design or redesign learner-centered course design workshops or multi-day course design retreats, replicating or modifying the rewned workshop that the authors have developed at the Air Force Academy for both faculty new to teaching and those with many years of teaching experience under their belt.
- Author BiographySteven K. Jones is currently an Associate Professor of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership at the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA). He has taught for over 20 years in university and service academy classrooms. For the past 10 years, he has served as the Director of Academic Assessment in USAFA's Center for Educational Excellence. He works closely with faculty across the institution on matters of effective course design, particularly as it pertains to assessment of course learning goals and departmental / institutional learning outcomes. His scholarly contributions are focused on the clear articulation, development, and assessment of institutional learning outcomes. Robert K. Noyd is Professor of Biology at the U.S. Air Force Academy where he teaches botany, general biology, and senior seminar courses. He has taught for over 35 years in high school, community college, small college, university, and service academy classrooms. He has served as the Academy's Director of Faculty Development and continues to write innovative educational materials and present workshops throughout the country on course design and learning-focused strategies. His new first edition biology textbook uses research-based principles of learning to motivate and inspire students nationwide. Kenneth S. Sagendorf is the founding Director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) and a Professor at Regis University - a Jesuit University in Denver, CO, USA. He holds degrees in biology (B.S.), applied exercise physiology (M.S.), and College Science Teaching (Ph.D.). In his 20 years in higher education, he has worked as a faculty member and administrator at four academic institutions - from small state schools to research institutions to the United States Air Force Academy. His own scholarship focuses on creating environments and cultures conducive to student learning - at the lesson, course, program, and curricular levels. His publications include books on incorporating disability into the college classroom and curriculum and promoting academic integrity through classroom instruction.
- Author(s)Kenneth S. Sagendorf,Robert K. Noyd,Steven K. Jones
- PublisherStylus Publishing
- Date of Publication30/10/2014
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationSterling, VA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStylus Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.