All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWeimin He's 324 ink drawings, pen sketches and woodblock prints comprise an intimate record of the progress of construction in the newly designed Ashmolean Museum that opened late last year. An unusual approach to documentation in the age of digital photography, the catalogue provides a delightful art experience for readers who will never set foot in the Ashmolean, which is the museum for the University of Oxford. Weimin has drawn workers lifting roof beams, welding metal rods and pouring cement into the mixer. He gives us behind-the-scenes portraits of museum personnel, making each individual come alive, for example, an objects conservator at her work and a researcher in the prints room at his. An artist-in-residence at the museum and an art scholar, Weimin employed Chinese drawing and woodblock printmaking methods. His portraits were drawn on pi, xuan papers or album leaves, with Chinese brushes and inks that have been used for over a millennium. Seven of the prints and the catalogue were presented to Queen Elizabeth for the museum's opening.
- Author BiographyBorn in China's northeastern province of Heilongjiang, Weimin studied printmaking at the Lu Xun Academy of Fine Arts in Shenyang before establishing himself as a professional printmaker in Harbin. His work has been exhibited in Hamburg, Germany, in Belfast, Glasgow and at Sotheby's Institute of Art in London. He was a Christensen Fellow at the Ashmolean for four years.
- Author(s)Weimin He
- PublisherAshmolean Museum
- Date of Publication21/01/2010
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshmolean Museum
- Content Note324 b/w illus
- Weight903 g
- Width245 mm
- Height290 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Illustrator(s)Weimin He
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.