All listings for this product
About this product
- Description**Vulture's The Best Books of 2016****Kirkus Reviews Best Nonfiction Books of 2016****featured in NPR's Guide to 2016's Great Reads**The powerful account of one writer's unlikely friendship with his childhood bully, w the president of a motorcycle club in one of America's most dangerous cities.Once upon a time, Alex Abramovich and Trevor Latham were mortal enemies: miniature outlaws in a Long Island elementary school, perpetually at each other's throats. Then they lost track of each other. Decades later, when they met again, Abramovich was a writer and Latham had become President of the East Bay Rats, a motorcycle club in Oakland. In 2010, Abramovich moved to California to immerse himself in Latham's world - one of fight clubs, booze-filled nights, and beat-downs on the city's streets. But dangerous, dysfunctional Oakland was also becoming one of America's most rapidly gentrifying cities, and the questions Abramovich had arrived with were thrown into brutal relief: How do we live with the burden of violence? How do we overcome it? Do we overcome it? As Trevor, the Rats, and the city they live in careen between crises and moments of renaissance, Abramovich explores issues of friendship, family, history, and destiny - and looks at what happens when those things fail. Bullies is at once a vivid, visceral narrative of an unusual friendship and an incisive portrait of a beautiful, terrible city.
- Author BiographyAlex Abramovich has taught at the New School, worked for the New Yorker and Feed, and written for the New York Times, the London Review of Books, and many other publications. He was born in Moscow and lives in Astoria, Queens.
- Author(s)Alex Abramovich
- PublisherHenry Holt & Company
- Date of Publication08/03/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHenry Holt & Company
- Content Notemaps
- Weight318 g
- Width145 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.