All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow did the French Revolution change ordinary lives? Bureaucrats and Bourgeois Society asks this question in relation to office clerks working in Parisian administrations. Under new masters, these clerks faced radical changes to work practices as reforming politicians looked to implement new 'administrative science'. Many also faced the loss of family inheritances, as positions longer passed down from father to son. Clerks were w expected to make their career as individuals. In practice, this meant increased job insecurity. Administrators lived under the threat of regular cuts in pay and of personnel. In this situation, some believed that the way to get ahead was by playing office politics. In the early nineteenth century, however, clerks mitigated their situation by modifying occupational practices. Inside the offices, they settled new modes of judging individual merit. Outside, they accumulated other forms of individual credit, in the process helping to define nineteenth-century bourgeois social capital, ideals of emulation, hor, and masculinity. Job insecurity, however, continued to set 'bureaucrats' apart from the bourgeoisie and their social identity came under question during the July Monarchy and 1848 Revolution.
- Author BiographyRALPH KINGSTON is an assistant professor of History at Auburn University, USA. He previously held positions at Trinity College Dublin, and as a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow at University College London. His article, The Bricks and Mortar of Revolutionary Administration, published in French History, was awarded the SEASECS Percy V. Adams prize.
- Author(s)Ralph Kingston
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication19/10/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleWar, Culture and Society, 1750-1850
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note2 black & white line drawings, 2 black & white halftones
- Weight411 g
- Width144 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.