All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
About this product
- DescriptionThis November volume is part of a complete revision of Butler's Lives of the Saints . It comes in 12 volumes which correspond to the months of the year. How to live a Christian life of faith is a question every generation of Christians has sought to answer. Invariably, they have turned to the lives of the saints. They offer inspiration, hope and a clear challenge to all Christians. Saints, the popular heroes and heroines of every age, also have an importance beyond the inspiration they provide. Numerous conferences and publications testify to the increased attention being given to their lives as richly documented sources for the study of social and cultural, as well as religious history. This is the first revised edition since the major Calendar reform of 1969-70. It is based on the new Roman Martyrology being finalized by the Congregation for Divine Worship. There is a more worldwide emphasis, resulting in more expanded coverage of saints from all continents. There is also in-depth historical and contextual background on major saints, and the inclusion of many new saints and the blessed from recent decades. The principal celebrations and feasts in the November volume include: Solemnity of the All Saints, St Martin de Porres, St Winifred, St Charles Borromeo, St Illtud, St Willibrord, Bd John Duns Scotus, St Leo the Great, St Martin of Tours, St Theodore the Studite, St Laurence O'Toole, St Albert the Great, Bd Roque Gonzalez and companions, St Margaret of Scotland, St Gertrude the Great, St Mechildis of Helfta, St Edmund of Abingdon, St Elizabeth of Hungary, St Hugh of Lincoln, St Gregory the Wonderworker, St Gregory of Tours, St Hild of Whitby, St Philippine Duschesne, St Edmund, the presentation of the BVM, St Cecilia, St Clement of Rome, St Columbanus, St Andrew and St Cuthbert Mayne.
- Author(s)Alban Butler
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication14/05/1997
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Literature, Arts & Humanities
- Series TitleButler's lives of the saints
- Series Part/Volume NumberVol 11
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBurns & Oates Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight300 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Foreword byHume
- Revised bySarah Fawcett Thomas
- Edition StatementRevised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.