All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn December 17, 1927 in Los Angeles, twelve year old Marion Parker, daughter of a prominent banker, was called to the school office where a stranger told her that her father had been in an accident and that she must leave with him right away. Fewer than 48 hours later, she was dead. What started as a tragic, but otherwise ordinary, kidnapping turned out to be a shocking murder by one of the period's most twisted killers, William Edward Hickman. James L. Neibaur takes a step into history, depicting how this abduction was soon labeled the crime of the century and sparked a change in the nation's attention to such cases. With a media-driven nationwide manhunt, one of the biggest and most wide-ranging in California history, and then a desperate attempt at sparing the killer's life with the unfamiliar insanity plea, this infamous case left the abduction and murder of Marion Parker to be etched into 1920s pop culture. The murder of Marion Parker brought to light the unthinkable reality of child abduction. Neibaur resourcefully weaves together the events surrounding the crime in the context of the contemporary culture and attitudes of the late 1920s, covering the impact of the media's first involvement in a criminal justice case, and how the admired tions of the glamorized '20s were crushed by this ordinary family's chilling reality.
- Author BiographyJames L. Neibaur is a film historian who has published over 15 books and written hundreds of articles, including more than forty essays in the Encyclopedia Britannica. He books include Buster Keaton's Silent Shorts, The Elvis Movies, The Clint Eastwood Westerns, and The Charley Chase Talkies.
- Author(s)James L. Neibaur
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication25/02/2016
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note7 black & white halftones
- Weight490 g
- Width157 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.