All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs part of efforts to save endangered properties and encourage downtown and neighborhood revitalization, many of the nation's most successful historic preservation and downtown development organizations have become actively involved in real estate. Buying Time for Heritage explains how one nprofit organization, Preservation North Carolina (PNC), has creatively employed common real estate strategies to save more than 500 endangered historic properties from destruction. As Myrick Howard explains, large sums of money are t always needed, but kwledge and passion are required. Howard provides practical tips on how a neighborhood, downtown, or preservation group can get involved in beneficial real estate work with only modest resources. Inspiring photographs illustrate his premise that a property is rarely too far gone to be revated, and the rewards of revation are abundant. Buyers of PNC properties have put them to a multitude of new uses, adding millions of dollars to local tax rolls and creating numerous jobs. Several properties have been adapted into affordable housing, and thousands of acres of open space have been placed under protective covenants, perpetually restricting their development. Rather than face off against developers, PNC itself has become a developer - for community benefit. This volume offers a model for other organizations working to make historic communities thrive.
- Author BiographyJ. MYRICK HOWARD is executive director of Preservation North Carolina and teaches historic preservation in the Department of City and Regional Planning at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Author(s)J. Myrick Howard
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note64 colour & 50 b&w illustrations, index
- Weight544 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.