All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA writer perhaps best kwn for the revolutionary works Black Boy and Native Son, Richard Wright also worked as a journalist during one of the most explosive periods of the 20th century. From 1937 to 1938, Wright turned out more than two hundred articles for the Daily Worker, the newspaper that served as the voice of the American Communist Party. Byline, Richard Wright assembles more than one hundred of those articles plus two of Wright's essays from New Masses, revealing to readers the early work of an American icon.
As both reporter and Harlem bureau chief, Wright covered most of the major and mir events, personalities, and issues percolating through the local, national, and global scenes in the late 1930s. Because the Daily Worker wasn't a mainstream paper, editors gave Wright free rein to cover the stories he wanted, and he tackled issues that one else covered. Although his peers criticised his journalistic writing, these articles offer revealing portraits of Depression-era America rendered in solid, vivid prose.
Featuring Earle V. Bryant's informative, detailed introduction and commentary contextualising the compiled articles, Byline, Richard Wright provides insight into the man before he achieved fame as a velist, short story writer, and internationally recognised voice of social protest. This collection opens new territory in Wright studies, and fans of Wright's vels will delight in discovering the lost material of this literary great.
- Author BiographyEarle V. Bryant is Professor of English at the University of New Orleans where he teaches American and African American literature. He has written extensively on Richard Wright, Charles Chesnutt, and Bernard Malamud and is at work on a book on Dorothy West. A native of Philadelphia, Bryant now lives in New Orleans.
- PublisherUniversity of Missouri Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2015
- Place of PublicationMissouri
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Missouri Press
- Weight590 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byEarle V. Bryant
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.