All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor thirty years, the Oxford C.S. Lewis Society has met weekly in the medieval colleges of the University of Oxford. During that time, it has hosted as speakers nearly all those still living who were associated with the Inklings-the Oxford literary circle led by C.S. Lewis-, as well as authors and thinkers of a prominence that nears Lewis's own. C.S. Lewis and His Circle offers the reader a chance to join this unique group. Roger White has worked with Society past-presidents Brendan and Judith Wolfe to select the best unpublished talks, which are here made available to the public for the first time. They exemplify the best of traditional academic essays, thoughtful memoirs, and informal reminiscences about C.S. Lewis and his circle. The reader will re-imagine Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy with former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams; read philosopher Elizabeth Anscombe's final word on Lewis's arguments for Christianity; hear the Reverend Peter Bide's memories of marrying Lewis and Joy Davidman in an Oxford hospital; and learn about Lewis's Narnia Chronicles from his former secretary. Representing the finest of both personal and scholarly engagement with C.S. Lewis and the Inklings, the talks collected here set a new tone for engagement with this iconic Oxford literary circle-a tone close to Lewis's own Oxford-bred sharpness and wryness, seasoned with good humor and genuine affection for C.S. Lewis and his circle.
- Author BiographyRoger White is curator of the Inklings Special Collection for the University Libraries as well as Professor of Ministry for the Seminary at Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, CA. Judith Wolfe is the founding General Editor of the Journal of Inklings Studies, and has co-edited two collections on C.S. Lewis. She teaches theology and the arts at St Andrews University in Scotland. Brendan N. Wolfe is a Germanic philologist at Oxford, Editor of the Journal of Inklings Studies, and past President and Secretary of the C. S. Lewis Society of Oxford University.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication02/07/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Weight562 g
- Width161 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byBrendan N. Wolfe,Judith Wolfe,Roger White
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.