Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $48.62Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $25.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA log cabin in the woods is one of America's most cherished icons-- a dream shared around the world. As the stress level of city life rises, more and more of us are imagining our own cottages far away from traffic lights and urban distractions. Cabins in the wilderness have never gone out of style, because the rustic life is a simple, rewarding one rooted in the traditions of the great outdoors. Featuring rustic interiors as well as North Woods architecture, Cabin Fever visits more than two dozen charming retreats old and new, large and small, in the mountains and along the water, from the wilds of New York out to the wild, wild West. Author Rachel Carley explains where our love for the rustic comes from and shows the amazingly varied guises in which it appears today. After serving as settlers' cabins, log homes enjoyed a phemenal popularity in the late nineteenth century. Wealthy families such as the Vanderbilts, Guggenheims, and Carnegies summered in areas as remote as they could find, building what were euphemistically called camps. Those less affluent, following the era's prescription for fresh air and simplicity, traveled to even more rustic hotels and vacation cabins to get their share of the refreshing woods. Cabin Fever presents some of the best of these old lodges and private cabins, along with striking new homes that give a contemporary twist to the ideal of the rustic life. To help fill a cabin, a whole camp, or even an apartment with the latest in rustic style, the book's catalogue shows where to find home furnishings from twig bedsteads to Hudson Bay blankets to Adirondack chairs. Brimming with exceptionally creative ideas for achieving this truly American look, this enchanting guide to living with the rustic style will cure every variety of cabin fever.
- Author BiographyRachel Carley holds a master's degree in historic preservation from the Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture and Planning and is a former staff member of the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Her previous books include The Visual Dictionary of American Domestic Architecture, A Guide to Biltmore Estate, and Cuba: 400 Years of Architectural Heritage. Her work has also appeared in the New York Times, Architectural Record, and the Michelin Travel Guides. Actively involved in historic preservation, she lives in Washington, Connecticut, and is a frequent visitor to Putnam Camp in the Adirondacks.
- Author(s)Rachel Carley
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication28/09/1998
- FormatOther book format
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Noteillustrations (some colour)
- Weight1038 g
- Width241 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.83Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $21.91Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.