All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCabinets of Experimental Philosophy in Eighteenth-Century Europe is an ambitious contribution to the growing interest in how science came to engage the attention of a public outside the academic and professional spheres and how collections of instruments played a formative role in this development. Collections of physical instruments for research and demonstration appeared throughout Europe in the eighteenth century and the coverage of the book is correspondingly broad. While collections in different cultural and geographical locations had much in common, there were significant local modifications. The essays in this book illustrate how science, sometimes thought to be molithic and universal, can maintain core intellectual characteristics and practical techniques while adapting to particular sites and circumstances. Contributors include: Jim Bennett, Sofia Talas, Huib J. Zuidervaart, Hans Hooijmaijers, Ad Maas, Tiemen Cocquyt, Inga Elmqvist Soderlund, Paola Bertucci, Marta C. Lourenco, David Felismi, Iva Dal Prete, Ewa Wyka, Martin Weiss, and Paolo Brenni.
- Author BiographyJim Bennett is Visiting Keeper at the Science Museum, London. He was formerly Director of the Museum of the History of Science and Professor of the History of Science in the University of Oxford. He is a previous President of the Scientific Instrument Commission. Sofia Talas is Curator of the Museum of the History of Physics at the University of Padua. Her main research interests are in the history of scientific instruments and the history of physics. She is President of Universeum (European Network for University Heritage) and a board member of the History of Physics Group of the European Physical Society.
- Date of Publication21/06/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleHistory of Science and Medicine Library / Scientific Instruments and Collections
- Series Part/Volume Number40/3
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight605 g
- Width16 mm
- Height24 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Volume editorJim Bennett,Sofia Talas
- Series Edited byGiorgio Strano
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.