All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrance s most distinguished man of letters This essential collection from the genius Voltaire includes his masterpiece and best-kwn work Candide, as well as his vel Zadig and fourteen short stories: Micromegas, The World as It Is, Memn, Bababec and the Fakirs, History of Scarmentado s Travels, Plato s Dream, Account of the Sickness, Confession, Death, and Apparition of the Jesuit Berthier, Story of a Good Brahman, Jeant and Colin, An Indian Adventure, Ingenuous, The One-Eyed Porter, Memory s Adventure, Count Chesterfield s Ears, and Chaplain Goudman.
- Author BiographyFrancois-Marie Arouet, writing under the pseudonym Voltaire, was born in 1694 into a Parisian bourgeois family. Educated by Jesuits, he was an excellent pupil but one quickly enraged by dogma. An early rift with his father who wished him to study law led to his choice of letters as a career. Insinuating himself into court circles, he became notorious for lampoons on leading notables and was twice imprisoned in the Bastille.By his mid-thirties his literary activities precipitated a four-year exile in England where he won the praise of Swift and Pope for his political tracts. His publication, three years later in France, of Lettres philosophiques sur les Anglais (1733) an attack on French Church and State forced him to flee again. For twenty years Voltaire lived chiefly away from Paris. In this, his most prolific period, he wrote such satirical tales as Zadig (1747) and Candide (1759). His old age at Ferney, outside Geneva, was made bright by his adopted daughter, Belle et Bonne, and marked by his intercessions in behalf of victims of political injustice. Sharp-witted and lean in his white wig, impatient with all appropriate rituals, he died in Paris in 1778 the foremost French author of his day.
- Author(s)Francois Voltaire
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication30/01/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight181 g
- Width104 mm
- Height170 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Translated byUniversity Donald M Frame
- Introduction byJohn Iverson
- Format DetailsMass market (rack) paperback,Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.06
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.