All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe Cahiers/Notebooks of Paul Valery are a unique form of writing. They reveal Valery as one of the most radical and creative minds of the twentieth century, encompassing a wide range of investigation into all spheres of human activity. His work explores the arts, the sciences, philosophy, history and politics, investigating linguistic, psychological and social issues, all linked to the central questions, relentlessly posed: 'what is the human mind and how does it work?', 'what is the potential of thought and what are its limits?' But we encounter here too, Valery the writer: exploratory, fragmentary texts undermine the boundaries between analysis and creativity, between theory and practice. Neither journal r diary, eluding the traditional genres of writing, the Notebooks offer lyrical passages, writing of extreme beauty, prose poems of extraordinary descriptive power alongside theoretical considerations of poetics, ironic aphorisms and the most abstract kind of analysis. The concerns and the insights that occupied Valery's inner voyages over more than 50 years remain as relevant as ever for the contemporary reader: for the Self that is his principal subject is at once singular and universal.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Brian Stimpson is Professor of Twentieth-Century French Literature at the University of Surrey Roehampton. Paul Gifford is Buchanan Professor of French at the University of St Andrews. Robert Pickering is Professor of French Literature at the Universite Blaise Pascal, Clermont-Ferrand. Brian Stimpson, Paul Gifford and Robert Pickering have published a number of books about Paul Valery.
- Author(s)Paul Valery
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/06/2001
- FormatLeather / fine binding
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Notefigures
- Weight930 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byBrian Stimpson,Paul Gifford,Robert Pickering
- Translated byRobert Pickering,Rachel Killick,Norma Rinsler,Stephen Romer,Brian Stimpson
- Contained items statement5 Leather / fine bound books
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.