All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Cahiers/Notebooks of Paul Valery are a unique form of writing. They reveal Valery as one of the most radical and creative minds of the twentieth century, encompassing a wide range of investigation into all spheres of human activity. His work explores the arts, the sciences, philosophy, history and politics, investigating linguistic, psychological and social issues, all linked to the central questions, relentlessly posed: 'what is the human mind and how does it work?', 'what is the potential of thought and what are its limits?' But we encounter here too, Valery the writer: exploratory, fragmentary texts undermine the boundaries between analysis and creativity, between theory and practice. Neither journal r diary, eluding the traditional genres of writing, the Notebooks offer lyrical passages, writing of extreme beauty, prose poems of extraordinary descriptive power alongside theoretical considerations of poetics, ironic aphorisms and the most abstract kind of analysis. The concerns and the insights that occupied Valery's inner voyages over more than 50 years remain as relevant as ever for the contemporary reader: for the Self that is his principal subject is at once singular and universal.
- Author BiographyThe Translators and Editors: Brian Stimpson is Professor of French Studies at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. Paul Gifford is Visiting Research Fellow at the Girard Institute, Stanford University. Robert Pickering is Professor of French Literature at the Universite Blaise Pascal, Clermont-Ferrand. Norma Rinsler is Emeritus Professor of French at King's College London. Brian Stimpson, Paul Gifford and Robert Pickering have published a number of books about Paul Valery.
- Author(s)Brian Stimpson,Paul Valery
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication09/04/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Notefig.
- Weight1000 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Contained items statement5 Hardbacks
- Format DetailsCloth
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.88Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.